Five Open Gym Tipsby Coach Dyer
With LOTS more Open Gym time added to the CrossFit Midtown schedule in November, Dyer wrote up some tips on how to make the most of all the new gym access you'll have. Good luck!
We have a bunch of free open gym times now. Here are five habits I've observed from people who get the most out of open gym sessions (these aren't rules for attending, just suggestions to get most out of your time):
1. They get to work right away. When there's no coach telling you that it's time to start warming up, it's tempting to sit around on the foam roller for 15 minutes. Don't do that. Be ready to start warming up as soon as open gym begins (if not sooner).
2. They plan their warm-up in advance and move with purpose. Run, row, etc. and use the warm-up movements that you've learned in class. Keep moving through the warmups with purpose to get to your workout. Ask the coach on duty if you want specific warm-ups for certain things, but be ready to tell the coach what you're doing for your workout.
3. They know what workout or strength/skill work they want to do in advance. If you show up with no idea what you want to do, you're 10 times more likely to screw around when you arrive or mess up your warmup. You don't necessarily need to have an entire workout planned - saying that you just want to work on your clean and jerk or muscle-up is OK - but, the more detail you have the more you'll get out of the session.
4. They talk to the coach. Coaches are there to help and really want to help. Tell them what you want to do and if you have any questions ask. Just don't burn all your time talking about kipping progression theory
5. They don't plan to do too much. The session is only an hour. So, you won't have time to warm-up, take your snatch, clean and jerk to maximum, get in 5 sets of squats, work on your rope climbs and do Cindy all in the same session. Use the classes as a template for what can be accomplished in an hour and plan accordingly.
Reminder no 8p Beginner class tonight & no 8:15 yoga. Join the Glow Stick WOD at 7p and stay for the Halloween party at 8!
Last year's Halloween WOD
Today's schedule6a: All Levels CrossFit- Beka
7a: All Levels CrossFit- Beka
12n: All Levels CrossFit- Tirzah/Lis
5p: All Levels CrossFit- Beka
6p: All Levels CrossFit- Beka
7p: GLOW STICK WOD- Cassie
8p: CFMakeover Awards & Finals Party
Workout of the Day (WOD)Partner "Cindy"
As many rounds & reps as possible in 20 minutes:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
OR, if you insist on working solo:
Every minute on the minute for 30 minutes:
5 pull ups
10 push ups
*Modify reps or number of rounds as needed.
And coming tomorrow...A. Every min on the min for 8 mins:
4 ea single leg step ups (knee high)
B. Every min on the min for 8 mins:
4 ea single arm press
C. Every min on the min for 8 mins:
:30 max box jumps